ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Gilles Scokart" <gscok...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Setting up Eclipse update site
Date Wed, 28 May 2008 06:57:11 GMT
There are a few thing to take into considerations :

1. An eclipse update site must provide a site map page [1] that has to
change when a new version come.
2. The site map give the possibility to reference an other file that
contains a list of mirrors.

So, we have to choose what we want to archive and mirror :
- The jars
- The site.xml
- The mirror file

I guess that we should mirror the jars, but I'm not sure about the
site.xml and the page that list the mirrors.

Note that in our case, there is an other 'page' to take into account :
the page on which we indicate where to find the update site.  This
page must be on our web site, and could use a script similar to the
download page in order to point the user directly to one mirrored
update site (in that case, the site.xml would be mirrored as well)

Finally, we should maybe raise that question (probably again) about an
apache wide eclipse update site.

Do you have any preference /advice here before we bring the question
on the infrastructure list ?

[1] http://help.eclipse.org/stable/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/update_sitemap.html

2008/5/28 Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008, Gilles Scokart <gscokart@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Geronimo use the dist directory [1], UIMA use also their
>> distribution directory [2], Maven host it on codehaus [3], Harmony
>> use their web-site [4], and as Xavier said, Apache Directory also
>> use their web site [5].
>>
>> If it is technically possible, I guess using the mirrored dist
>> directory is better.
>
> Please forgive this old Emacs user's ignorance, but I have no idea
> what an Eclipse update site is.
>
> If it holds files we'd want to distribute it should go into the dist
> directory, this is where our distributions live and it has the benefit
> of being automatically archived at archive.apache.org.
>
> Stefan

Gilles Scokart