ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Including builder resolver in ivy
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 11:26:34 GMT

Le 6 mai 08 à 18:27, Xavier Hanin a écrit :

> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to propose that the new "builder" resolver be included in
>> ivy. In
>> order to do this however, other developers need to vote yes or no.
>> So I'd
>> ask that you please let the list know your opinion.
>>
>> Quick summary:
>>
>> The Builder Resolver is a new Ivy resolver that supports downloading,
>> extracting and repackaging (as necessary) artifacts on-demand. It
>> allows
>> for
>> a clearer separation between two jobs which don't necessarily go
>> together:
>> maintaining Ivy meta-data, and hosting the actual artifacts. In
>> addition,
>> it's easy to use the builder resolver to build a normal repository
>> containing artifacts.
>>
>> The most important aspect of this new resolver is that it makes it
>> much
>> easier to create and maintain a public Ivy repository, something
>> that IMHO
>> is sorely lacking right now.  And the Ivy RoundUp project is
>> already doing
>> just that (note Ivy RoundUp is a completely separate project from ivy
>> itself).
>>
>> Some links...
>>
>> * Builder resolver
>> patch<
>> http://ivyroundup.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/files/builder-resolver.patch
>> >
>> * Builder resolver
>> documentation<http://ivyroundup.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/files/builder.html
>>>
>> * Ivy RoundUp project <http://code.google.com/p/ivyroundup/>
>>
>> This has also been discussed recently in a couple of threads
>> (here<
>> http://www.nabble.com/Ivy-RoundUp-Repository---feedback-requested-td16704469.html
>>> and
>> here <http://www.nabble.com/Open-source-ivy-files-project--to16437122.html
>>>
>> ).
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback.
>

> I'm +1 to include this in Ivy core. The patch is well written,
> documented
> and tested. More importantly, I think the work Archie has began on
> the Ivy
> roundup repository will be a great asset for the community, if
> enough people
> start using it. Integrating the builder resolver in Ivy core will
> help drive
> adoption of this new repository IMO.

For the same reasons I am in favor of adding it.
I have though some worries about adding new features, as I don't
manage to have a global and comprehensive view of every Ivy features.
On the other way I see that Archie is very active on Ivy, so I am
confident about the maintenance of this component.

So +1 for me.

Nicolas