ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <>
Subject Re: Including builder resolver in ivy
Date Tue, 06 May 2008 16:27:09 GMT
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Archie Cobbs <> wrote:

> I'd like to propose that the new "builder" resolver be included in ivy. In
> order to do this however, other developers need to vote yes or no. So I'd
> ask that you please let the list know your opinion.
> Quick summary:
> The Builder Resolver is a new Ivy resolver that supports downloading,
> extracting and repackaging (as necessary) artifacts on-demand. It allows
> for
> a clearer separation between two jobs which don't necessarily go together:
> maintaining Ivy meta-data, and hosting the actual artifacts. In addition,
> it's easy to use the builder resolver to build a normal repository
> containing artifacts.
> The most important aspect of this new resolver is that it makes it much
> easier to create and maintain a public Ivy repository, something that IMHO
> is sorely lacking right now.  And the Ivy RoundUp project is already doing
> just that (note Ivy RoundUp is a completely separate project from ivy
> itself).
> Some links...
> * Builder resolver
> patch<
> * Builder resolver
> documentation<
> >
> * Ivy RoundUp project <>
> This has also been discussed recently in a couple of threads
> (here<
> >and
> here <
> >
> ).
> Thanks for your feedback.

I'm +1 to include this in Ivy core. The patch is well written, documented
and tested. More importantly, I think the work Archie has began on the Ivy
roundup repository will be a great asset for the community, if enough people
start using it. Integrating the builder resolver in Ivy core will help drive
adoption of this new repository IMO.

The only thing I dislike with this resolver is its name. The 'builder' name
makes people think this resolver compiles modules, while it just repackage
them if necessary. Hence I prefer to use another name.