ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Looking for home for DBPatch Ant task
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 04:26:44 GMT
Hi Andrus

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Andrus Adamchik <aadamchik@apache.org> wrote:

> I developed an Ant task to maintain an evolving database schema via
> a series of SQL scripts called "db patches". Now looking for an
> advice from the Ant community on what would be a good home for such
> task.

We've developed a tendency of not adding any new tasks to Ant itself,
optional or core, but rather create new Antlibs that can have separate
release cycles.

Those Antlibs require three PMC members to support them in order to
get any release done.

I assume that you are not looking for a place to dump your code but
want to keep developing it.  Doing so as an Antlib as part of the Ant
project would mean you'd need to convince at least one Ant committer
to commit your patches as a proxy until you've convinced enough people
around here to become a committer.  Do you want to go through that?

The easier option for you would certainly be something like
ant-contrib or a Sourceforge/Google Code/you name it project of your
own, but I understand why you'd prefer to keep it at the ASF.

For now I can offer to be the proxy and create a sandbox Antlib from
it, a simple svn copy and some restructuring to make it fit with the
other Antlibs would be a start, but I'm not too sure how far we could
- and you would want - to go with this setup.

Stefan