ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Gilles Scokart" <gscok...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is our objective for 2.0 too ambitious?
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:14:25 GMT
On 16/04/2008, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Xavier Hanin <xavier.hanin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > So, what do you think? Shall we reconsider our objective for 2.0,
>  > and retarget some of the issues for a 2.0.x?
>
>  Comments from the peanut gallery:
>
>  There are certain categories of bugs that you can't really re-target,
>  those that would require API (both Java and XML) changes or those that
>  are critical and break existing use-cases of Ivy 1.x.

+1 for the XML, but -1 for the java API.
We discussed already in the past about 'publishing' our API [1].  I
think the API is now a way too complexe, and cleaning it would
requires a lot of effort.  I think we should warn our users that the
API may (and I hope will) change in the futur

[1] http://markmail.org/message/dm54bglzuvrsgddm

>  Then there are "nice-to-have" features or "can-be-worked-around" bugs.
>
>  You'll probably never get to any final release without accepting that
>  it will ship with issues of the later category.  Fix those of the
>  first category and call the result final, probably is the best way
>  forward.
>
>  Stefan

Gilles Scokart