ant-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <>
Subject Re: Looking for home for DBPatch Ant task
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:13:45 GMT
Hi Stefan,

On Apr 15, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi Andrus
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Andrus Adamchik <> wrote:
>> I developed an Ant task to maintain an evolving database schema via
>> a series of SQL scripts called "db patches". Now looking for an
>> advice from the Ant community on what would be a good home for such
>> task.
> We've developed a tendency of not adding any new tasks to Ant itself,
> optional or core, but rather create new Antlibs that can have separate
> release cycles.
> Those Antlibs require three PMC members to support them in order to
> get any release done.

Fair enough. I wasn't aware of the Antlibs subproject, but after some
digging through the site, I found what you are talking about.

> I assume that you are not looking for a place to dump your code but
> want to keep developing it.

> Doing so as an Antlib as part of the Ant
> project would mean you'd need to convince at least one Ant committer
> to commit your patches as a proxy until you've convinced enough people
> around here to become a committer.  Do you want to go through that?

Yes, Ant is an Apache project, so I didn't expect anything else.

> The easier option for you would certainly be something like
> ant-contrib or a Sourceforge/Google Code/you name it project of your
> own, but I understand why you'd prefer to keep it at the ASF.

> For now I can offer to be the proxy and create a sandbox Antlib from
> it, a simple svn copy and some restructuring to make it fit with the
> other Antlibs would be a start, but I'm not too sure how far we could
> - and you would want - to go with this setup.

Excellent. I do want it get this setup, but since moving things around
the repo is not very patch-friendly, maybe I'll align the structure of
the task project in Cayenne sandbox with one of the existing Antlibs,
like AntUnit, and then ask you to "svn cp".

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message