ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Archie Cobbs" <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: Open source ivy files project?
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:35:14 GMT
On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Xavier Hanin <xavier.hanin@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The problem I see with #2 is that now we
> > are adding a requirement for xalan (or equivalent) to be present when
> ivy
> > runs. This doesn't work e.g. for the situation where ivy itself is used
> > download xalan :-)
>
> Or you can use something else than xslt, like some java code. It's not
> pretty, but we already do this frequently in Ivy: rewrite in Java what
> some
> libraries already do, simply because we don't want to hit the chicken and
> egg problem. If the language is simple, writing some java code to parse it
> and write the ant script can be pretty straightforward.

I just realized that this is not really a problem, because we can delay the
XSLT step until when we run "ant" (i.e., make that step part of the
build.xml we generate), and <xslt> is a "core" ant task.

> What other issues need to be addressed before this could happen?
>
> Mainly test and documentation. By test I mean some automatic test, based
> on
> junit, and using a repo packaged with Ivy sources (probably accessed with
> file: URLs), as we do for almost everything in Ivy. This is the only way
> get something included in Ivy core, because once included it has to be
> maintained, and maintaining stuff without automatic tests is a pain.

Yes I agree unit tests should be a requirement.

Regarding security, I've made an initial version of the XSLT. See attached
files for (3) sample "builder XML" for TestNG, (2) the XSLT, and (3) sample
build.xml output.

There is a tradeoff between security and flexibility. I decided to allow a
but
otherwise everything is "controlled".

Let me know if you think I made the right tradeoffs here.

Thanks,
-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs