ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Archie Cobbs" <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: Open source ivy files project?
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2008 03:05:05 GMT
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org> wrote:

> I think I have enough information to go and work on a new resolver based
> on these ideas... will report back later...

Here's a very rough first cut at a new "builder" resolver.

Here's the basic idea: it works like URLResolver for the ivy.xml file. For
other artifacts, it short-circuits the normal functioning: first, it gets
the build.xml file by finding the "builder" artifact (using normal
URLResolver stuff). This build.xml is just an ant file that is expected to
do whatever action necessary to "build" the artifacts and put them in an
artifacts/ subdirectory. This build.xml is executed by running "ant" as a
separate process. Then the resolver returns the artifacts found within that
artifacts/ subdirectory.

It includes code to clean up the work directory when the JVM exits.

Some things that may to be improved:

   1. Would it be better to invoke ant from within the same JVM? Actually
   I think not to avoid property pollution, etc. which might make the build
   process less robust and reproducible.
   2. Ivy is not caching the built artifacts for some reason (I think)
   3. It would be fancier to define custom XML for the build file and
   XSLT into a build.xml, but maybe not worth the trouble either.
   4. Need to add checksum verification to the build.xml file after it
   downloads the ZIP file.

To try this out:

   1. Apply the attached patch to your ivy source tree
   2. Run "ant roundup"
   3. You should eventually see the TestNG usage message printed out,
   proving that it worked

I'm sure there are other bugs at least the basic initial test works. Please
let me know what you think.

Thanks,
-Archie

--