ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ittay Dror <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] EasyAnt: Ant based pre packaged build system for java projects
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:07:37 GMT

Dominique Devienne-2 wrote:
> But while I agree that having a true scripting language for Ant would
> help (OO, prototype-based, or functional, leaning towards the latter
> for Ant myself), I think it's important to remember than good builds
> are *declarative* in nature. Using a pure language, when most have
> little or no support to declare your intent, would make scripts
> unreadable.
I completely agree. I just saw that the example I gave was not posted well.
Here's another try:

So I have a project that I want to build a jar from:
&lt;project prototype="jar_project"&gt;

This is all declerative. What it does is create a project object, with data
member 'sourcePath' whose prototype is jar_project. Behind the scenese, the
object has a lot of methods, but the average joe does not care about them.
However, If someone wants to change the logic, he can then do that. Btw, I
think this is a lot more declarative than defining lots of targets and tasks
(these are defined by jar_project).

Thank you,
Sent from the Ant - Dev mailing list archive at

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message