ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Tasks in parallel
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:35:39 GMT
One thread per file? Hows that going to help for a fileset that selects 50
files? 100? 1000?

Don't get me wrong - to build WebSphere we have many custom tasks that
spawn worker threads. My point is that you have to be smart about how you
build in multthreading support; simply spawning a thread for every unit of
work isn't very smart & for cases where you have many many units of work
you're more likely to make things worse than better.

Jeffrey E. (Jeff) Care
carej@us.ibm.com
IBM WebSphere Application Server
WAS Release Engineering

Vijay Aravamudhan <avijayr@gmail.com>
02/26/2008 02:36 PM
Please respond to
"Ant Developers List" <dev@ant.apache.org>

Ant Developers List <dev@ant.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Tasks in parallel

hi,
I know that there is already a parallel task. But...

We have a build file which goes something like this:

<fileset refid="foo">
    <include..../>
</fileset>
<copy todir="blah">
    <fileset id="foo"/>
</copy>

(I have omitted the unnecessary bits for this example)

Consider the scenario where the file transfer takes a long time: would
it be a good idea to have the copy/scp/ftp tasks create different
threads for each file? I know I can separate the fileset into individual
files and then create multiple copy commands that are wrapped inside a
parallel task. But that defeats the purpose of defining the fileset in
the first place. What do you think?

thanks,
Vijay