ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey E Care <>
Subject Re: Tasks in parallel
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:35:39 GMT
One thread per file? Hows that going to help for a fileset that selects 50
files? 100? 1000?

Don't get me wrong - to build WebSphere we have many custom tasks that
spawn worker threads. My point is that you have to be smart about how you
build in multthreading support; simply spawning a thread for every unit of
work isn't very smart & for cases where you have many many units of work
you're more likely to make things worse than better.

Jeffrey E. (Jeff) Care
IBM WebSphere Application Server
WAS Release Engineering

Vijay Aravamudhan <>
02/26/2008 02:36 PM
Please respond to
"Ant Developers List" <>

Ant Developers List <>

Tasks in parallel

I know that there is already a parallel task. But...

We have a build file which goes something like this:

<fileset refid="foo">
<copy todir="blah">
    <fileset id="foo"/>

(I have omitted the unnecessary bits for this example)

Consider the scenario where the file transfer takes a long time: would
it be a good idea to have the copy/scp/ftp tasks create different
threads for each file? I know I can separate the fileset into individual
files and then create multiple copy commands that are wrapped inside a
parallel task. But that defeats the purpose of defining the fileset in
the first place. What do you think?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: