ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Add maven2 resolver?
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 22:01:16 GMT

Le 8 févr. 08 à 21:29, Adrian Sandor a écrit :

> Hi, IMHO it would be much better to build a clean, well-organized
> and reliable ivy repository instead of supporting that maven
> garbage. By the way, why was IvyRep abandoned? I think that would be
> the best solution, to have an official ivy rep., ideally containing
> artifacts too.
> I have nothing against [better] supporting maven reps for those who
> prefer it, but I don't see why it should have a higher priority than
> supporting an ivy rep.
> Anyway, I've never used maven (and from what I read about it, I
> avoided a world of suffering), and during the few minutes I spent
> with the ibiblio resolver before ditching it, I found these main
> problems:
> - bad org names
> - very old versions for some modules
> - source and javadoc artifacts not supported (except by IvyDE)
> Therefore the only solution was to manually build an "enterprise
> repository" from scratch.

Well, to build a "entreprise repository", you will need some
"entreprise maintainers". And looking at the number of artifacts
available on ibiblio, for me it is a kind of magic to have Ivy support
maven repositories. And we have to admit that maven is more popular
than Ivy, so people will still continue to publish maven artifacts,
even non maven-built projects as Lucene.

And on the contrary, we could imagine to have some ivy.xml just next
to the pom.xml on the maven repositories, so we could have a IvyRep2
with not that much effort from the developer (non necessarily ivy
ones) community.

Nicolas