ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] EasyAnt: Ant based pre packaged build system for java projects
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:54:36 GMT
On Jan 11, 2008 6:35 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

> "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.hanin@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > But in my mind I was more thinking about a build system based on
> > current Ant feature set and syntax,
>
> Which probably would lead to a more complex system than it needed to
> be without such a restriction.

You're right. I guess I still don't feel like a true Ant committer yet,
that's maybe why I still try to envision things which do not require changes
in Ant.

> Dominique's <super/> or something similar was among the features the
> Centipede folks wanted us to do, but that never happened.  With more
> Ant committers directly involved the project you envision would have
> way more chances to succeed in influencing Ant.

Exactly. That's one of the reason why I started this discussion here :-)

> > at least for a first version.
>
> If you want to have a first release quickly, I agree.

To be honest I don't really mind about when we get the first release. This
idea does not come from a need I have on any particular project. That being
said I think one of the key of the success of good adoption is to adopt the
"release early, release often" principle. Another reason why I try to see a
very simple solution which does not require changes is that I don't have
much time to involve in the project, so by keeping things simple we get more
chance to get something actually done and working.

> > Unless several Ant committers would like to get involved and target
> > a new Ant version to support the new build system.
>
> I would like to get involved,

Great!

> but can't promise to not disapear for
> weeks like I've been doing over the past years.

I can't either. I think all of us are doing this work in our spare time, and
we don't always have spare time. But power comes from the community, and the
more people get involved, the more likely to succeed is the project IMHO.

> At least three other Ant committers (apart from you and me) have been
> involved in this thread so I'd say chances aren't that bad.

:-)  And the rate of opinions and thoughts given in this thread is a good
sign too.

Xavier