ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Linking to log files from generated JUnit reports
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 13:31:26 GMT
s p wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm am currently working on a patch for Ant 1.7 which would enable linking to logfiles
from generated JUnit reports. The logfiles that are linked to would be logfiles generated
by the application that is tested through JUnit supported Unit/Integration tests.

> To be able to do this I am adding a 'logdir' attribute to the junitreport task which
specifies a root directory for logfiles. In the junit-frames.xsl, when generating the class.details,
when a logfile matching the name of the classfile is found, a link will appear in the same
way links will appear when there has been output to stdout or stderr when running the test.

> Will any of you be interested in this patch ?
>
> It would be great if this could be included in the Ant head branch. But if it won't we
should consider not adapting the junitreport target but rather use our own stylesheet to override
the one junitreport uses by default.

Interesting thought.

If you look at http://wiki.apache.org/ant/Proposals/EnhancedTestReports
you can see what I'm thinking of in terms of improvements to the junit XML.

I wouldnt want to see explicit support for logs, because there are so
many other things to add to test runs as attachments/links. the output
of a program should be something you can just get at.

that said, logs are interesting as you may want a test run that grabs
output at more detail than classic stdout/stderr, but instead use the
full log4j/commons-logging/java.util.logging levels and have that
handled in the main GUI, which means we could consider better logging
inside the XML file itself -as long as that doesnt break other systems.

I'd like more people involvved in this; add your name to the list and
let's start making progress on it!

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/