ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant Documentation
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 13:07:35 GMT
Matt Benson wrote:
> You can also read about the gendoc sandbox Antlib at
> http://ant.apache.org/antlibs/sandbox.html .  For some
> reason this has been in the sandbox over 2.5 years.  I
> don't know where the time has gone...

we use this @work to generate docs for libraries other than Ant
itself...it would be nice to be able to generate docs of ant tasks that
work outside ant's own manual

At work I'd be happy with java1.5+ annotations for this...for java1.4
and below we could use whatever testng does to get the tags from javadocs.

Regarding docbook, I would be -1 to writing our docs themselves in
docbook, +1 for some format that could be turned into docbook. Why?
because docbook is pretty low level. You may have an emphasis section
rather than <i> or <b>, but you would be better off with
project-specific XML clauses/or at least div/span IDs, e,g <span
id="taskname" />, <div id="antxml" />, so that you can choose better
formatting from XML.

For docbook I've used the xml toolchain that goes through LateX; printed
output is very nice.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/