ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] EasyAnt: Ant based pre packaged build system for java projects
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:11:20 GMT
On 1/15/08, Louis Tribble <louis.tribble@oracle.com> wrote:
> Consequently, my main comment (apologies if I missed it in the thread)
> is that any magic target overriding feature needs to balanced by
> a target locking feature, for at least two reasons: (1) the integrity of
> the
> build depends on certain chunks of script (typically in the xxx-default
> targets) always being invoked and (2) nobody can understand and
> manage a build of 500 modules if modules do their own thing even for
> basic tasks like compiling and creating jars.

This is interesting. So you want some kind of "final" keyword for a
target, to allow controlled customization only, right? Basically the
template method pattern, with an immutable public target, and only
limited customization.

> A corollary is that if I were to base this system on the hypothesized
> Ant-supplied system, I expect I would need to customize quite a bit,
> but I would not want to expose most of that customizability to the
> modules. (Perhaps that is something like what Gilles was thinking
> when he mentioned two levels of customization?)

That's where I'm confused. You want to be able to customize in some
places, but not in others??? I don't quite follow what you mean here.
--DD