ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] EasyAnt: Ant based pre packaged build system for java projects
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:03:12 GMT
On 1/14/08, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
> If our base build file contains a compile target and several "plugins"
> that I want to use need to do stuff before the compile target then we
> need a way to have a defined order.  In the order my build file
> requires the plugins, I guess.

So far we've been talking mostly about a concrete build needing a
customize the behavior of a base generic build, typically with some
pre or post processing, and sometimes complete override of the target
(w/ or w/o changing the dependency list), but when you mentioned the
plugins scenario, it made me think of a "composite" build made up of
several builds you'd import, all with a compile target, where you'd
want the compile targets to somehow "aggregate" into a single compile
target... So instead of doing a <subant> on these builds, you'd import
them, and they "merge" into one build. Sounds a bit crazy, I agree. Oh
well, I'm throwing it out there, but it's probably too weird.

I'd be quite happy if we simply added before/after support, nailing
down the exact desired behavior. Maybe we should indeed do that in
another thread. --DD