ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] EasyAnt: Ant based pre packaged build system for java projects
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:39:21 GMT
On 1/14/08, Peter Reilly <peter.kitt.reilly@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008 5:02 PM, Wolfgang Häfelinger <whaefelinger@epo.org> wrote:
> > Assume also:
> >
> >    <target name="prepare" before="junit">
> >       <prepare />
> >    </target>
> >
> > Do you want this before your "start-server" or after it or
> > in parallel?
> >

> I would say that if the build file does not specify the order, then the order
> is undefined.
>
> If the order is important, then the build file can enforce an order by
> using "depends".
>
>     <target name="prepare" before="junit" depends="start-server">
>        <prepare />
>     </target>

It makes sense Peter. And this already works in Ant, provided we add
before/after support to <target>.

Q1: Does everyone agree that adding before/after to target to Ant 1.8
is useful and should be done before (in conjunction of) creating
generic build files?

Q2: Do others feel (like me) that we should also have a mean to
override a target's content (task list) while keeping the overridden
target's dependency list?

Both questions above are independent of using overriding macros... --DD