ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] EasyAnt: Ant based pre packaged build system for java projects
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:59:44 GMT
On 1/14/08, Peter Reilly <peter.kitt.reilly@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not have something simple like having a "before" and "after" attributes to
> the <target> element.

This is indeed something we discussed and proposed earlier in the
thread. (except I envisioned the before/after to be used instead of
the name attribute, although giving a more explicit name to the target
is a good optional think I now realize, and is independent of the
target being "injected" into the dependency chain at the correct
place).

But is it that simple? If you have several such before/after targets,
what order are they executed in? What is they are spread into several
files? And if you give them names, do these before/after targets
themselves become override-able?

Even this simple (very desirable!) feature can get hairy when one digs
a little before the surface. --DD