ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] EasyAnt: Ant based pre packaged build system for java projects
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:14:22 GMT
On Jan 11, 2008 8:11 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
> "Gilles Scokart" <gscokart@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I never thought to overwrite macro to customize a generic build script.  Can
> > macro be overwritten?
>
> Sure, it's just another Ant task that has been defined.

But my point is that most of the time, you never want to override
things (macros or target), but augment them with some kind of pre or
post processing. Peo's point of simply copy-pasting the "abstract"
build code to fully override the target duplicates that code, and
makes build maintenance all the more difficult. That's the well known
issue with code generator and code wizards when it's done in a one-of
way. Copy-pasting a target content shows failure of the generic build
to be flexible, and should be the exception rather than the rule, and
actually frowned upon IMHO. --DD