ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey E Care <>
Subject Re: Optional target support?
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:21:50 GMT
"Peter Reilly" <> wrote on 11/02/2007 02:54:38

> The easy way is to have a common.xml that is included in
> by each subproject. The common.xml would have a "foo"
> target with an empty implementation.
> <target name="foo"/>
> Any sub project could then have there own "foo" target that
> would override the imported one.

Thanks Peter. That occurred to me as well; unfortunately, I can't sell
retrofitting hundreds of build.xml files in order to make this optional
target stuff happen.

Going forward you're absolutely right: all the subprojects should be using
a common import & we plan to do that in a future release; the main issue
is that these subprojects predate import support & the sheer volume of
them means that a retrofitting effort will take too long and introduce too
much risk to an effort that the bosses want done yesterday...

Jeffrey E. (Jeff) Care
IBM WebSphere Application Server
Systems Management Tools Development

To unsubscribe, e-mail: