ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Optional target support?
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 12:13:55 GMT
Jeffrey E Care wrote:
> "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.reilly@gmail.com> wrote on 11/02/2007 02:54:38
> PM:
>
>> The easy way is to have a common.xml that is included in
>> by each subproject. The common.xml would have a "foo"
>> target with an empty implementation.
>>
>> <target name="foo"/>
>>
>> Any sub project could then have there own "foo" target that
>> would override the imported one.
>
> Thanks Peter. That occurred to me as well; unfortunately, I can't sell
> retrofitting hundreds of build.xml files in order to make this optional
> target stuff happen.
>
> Going forward you're absolutely right: all the subprojects should be using
> a common import & we plan to do that in a future release; the main issue
> is that these subprojects predate import support & the sheer volume of
> them means that a retrofitting effort will take too long and introduce too
> much risk to an effort that the bosses want done yesterday...

you cant control common import files once you also include third party
projects into your build tree and use ivy to choreograph it.

For the new executor I'm doing for smartfrog, I looked at <subant> and
decided to change it to make targets optional.

1. we could add this to subant "skipmissingtargets"
2. I'd also like to give subant the ability to set the basedir, the way
<ant> does