ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: terminating running builds better
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:13:09 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:

> I'm midway through adding the smartfrog features to run ant builds
> remotely; buildexceptions will get wrapped and sent back over the wire
> to the caller via our friend RMI. as will, ultimately, the logs. you can
> use this to run build files as part of a big deployment, and be able to
> dynamically tweak the log levels as you go.
>
> one things I'm worrying about is how to stop long-running builds more
> cleanly. I'm thinking of an executor that polls some halt variable
> between targets, but that does nothing for tasks. Can/should we add
> something to project, so that you can actually interrupt project
> execution between tasks? We coudl through a BuildInterruptedException.
>
> What do IDEs do to stop ant builds? just kill the thread/process?

of course, a more devious way would be to implement the check-for-halt
logic in a build listener, so that you can retrofit the halting tests to
an out the box ant1.7.0 release; throw a BuildInterruptedException (that
extends BuildException).

what bad things would happen if I threw a BuildException in a
BuildListener.targetstarted() call?