ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon Presentation
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:18:08 GMT
On Nov 14, 2007 8:07 AM, Wolfgang Häfelinger <whaefelinger@epo.org> wrote:
> * Simple fix...place all third-party jars in $ANT_HOME/lib
>
> Honestly, putting something into Ant's  lib directory is really ugly and all
> those alternatives ($HOME/.ant etc) do not solve the overall problem.

If the project you checkout includes its own Ant extensions, and you
want to use a stock Ant release, you still have the option of using
the -lib command line switch to tell the Ant launcher to use your
custom libs. Using -lib is just as effective as putting the jars in
$ANT_HOME/lib I believe. Then you only need a little wrapper
build.bat/.sh script (checked in) to launch Ant properly configured
for the projects.

Sure, auto-download of dependencies would be nice, and with Ivy part
of the Ant family, it may come sooner rather than later, but in the
mean time, -lib is a very effective and easy way to work around your
issue it sounds like. --DD