ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <>
Subject Re: Bugs in release branch
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:11:18 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>> file://cluster/home/ant/lib
>> This is probably illegal too; AFAIK the host field is meaningless
>> for a file-protocol URL.
> I think it is not (SMB or NFS), something like "ls //nfserver/homes/mine"
> translates into a file URI with host.

Not on Unix; NFS mounts still look like regular FS paths, e.g.

   /net/some.server/home/bob -> file:/net/some.server/home/bob/

which has an empty and elided host field.

Windows has \\server\path UNC paths for which the JRE has AFAIK never
gotten URIs quite right. You can search for "UNC URI" or
something like that and get the story.

Anyway, it seems that the test is attempting to manipulate file: URLs
for file path syntaxes which cannot exist on the host OS. This is a
mistake, I think. A Unix system cannot be expected to interpret
"\\workserver\Documents and Folders\" as a real file path during a unit
test, and a Windows system cannot be expected to treat "/home/bob" as a
file path independent of any drive letter.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message