ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@sun.com>
Subject Inclusion of NetBeans project metadata in source tree?
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:56:31 GMT
I don't recall any previous discussion of whether IDE-specific metadata
are wanted/permitted in the source tree. I have been privately
maintaining a NetBeans "freeform" project setup for Ant which ties into
the build script in various ways and offers easier and more precise
development of Ant from the IDE. For example, you can ask to debug a
single test case and it will run the right target (with the right
parameter) from build.xml and connect it to the IDE's debugger. Since
Ant's own build.xml is not in general runnable by the last official
release, it uses a wrapper script to do some bootstrapping and other
preparation.

Currently I just keep this in a separate directory structure so as to
keep my svn checkout clean, and refer to the checkout via an external
path. But if there are others who might want to use the same IDE on Ant
it seems a waste for them to not get the same project setup.
Distributing the metadata separately is awkward (especially if targets
in build.xml change) and few people would find it.

Could/should this metadata be put in the Ant source tree somewhere? It
is a directory "nbproject" with a few files (no changes to other files
are needed). If at top level, you would be able to open the top source
dir as a NB project; if under e.g. src/etc/ you would need to know to
open that parent dir instead. I would need to do some cleanup to test
that all pieces still work (some I wrote months or even years ago) and
to ensure that all absolute paths or other per-user configuration could
be loaded from an svn-ignorable user.properties file.

-J.

--
jesse.glick@sun.com  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org  hudson.dev.java.net
             http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1