ant-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From DJohn...@desknetinc.com
Subject Re: First-time contributor - advice needed
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 15:52:33 GMT
Steve Loughran said:
>> I have a new task to contribute under optional/ssh, but when I do an 
"ant
>> -f patch.xml" I get a lot of other files in the patch.tar.gz.  I'm
>> thinking it should only have my new class source and the patch to
>> default.properties.  Am I correct, and should I just manually remove 
the
>> extraneous files, or am I doing this wrong?


>this is pretty unusual. I fear your IDE has designed to reorganise 
things.

Hmmm... I used Eclipse 3.1, and just installed the Subclipse plugin to 
check out
the trunk as an Eclipse project.

>> By way of background, I wrote and built the changes using a source
>> download, but then installed svn and did a checkout of
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/trunk, added the new source 
file,
>> modified the default.properties accordingly, and generated the
>> patch.tar.gz.  Suggestions?


>Best to do a clean checkout of the trunk -which is always up to date-
>and add the new source file.

That is what I did, using Eclipse with subclipse.  I'll have to try a 
clean
checkout outside of Eclipse, and see if I have better luck.

>If the patch has lots of noise in it, dont include those patches. Tests
>are nice though; we've always been a bit lax about testing SSH stuff
>because its a functional test that needs servers and permissions set up
>right, but we could improve that perhaps.

Because I've utilized the existing authentication and connection logic 
from
SSHExec and SSHBase, the new task is as reliable in that regard as 
SSHExec.
I've personally tested only the keypair with passphrase method of 
authentication,
along with local port forwarding.  As you say, I have no server setup to
accomodate testing the other authentication options or the remote port 
forwarding.

>What is your new task trying to do?

It is sshsession, a container task which establishes an SSH connection,
and optionally any number of local or remote tunnels over that connection,
then executes any nested tasks before taking down the connection.

My purpose in writing it is that we use cvs, and secure all access by only
allowing cvs connections from localhost, which are tunneled over SSH 
connections.
Establishing those connections is the only manual step in an otherwise 
automated
build process.  While I could use exec to issue the putty command (this is 
done
on windoze) conditionally if a server is not already accessible at 
localhost
port 2401, it gets more complicated with a passphrase on the keypair being 
used.
Furthermore, there was no way to ensure that an existing connection is the
connection we should be using, and no way to bring the connection down 
once we
are done with it.

So I wrote SSHSession, extending SSHBase, and implementing TaskContainer.
The TaskContainer implementation is lifted directly from Sequential, and 
the
remainder is adapted from SSHCommand, though all the command execution 
related
properties and logic were removed.  I added support for defining the 
tunnels via
properties and/or nested elements.  I only needed local port forwarding, 
but added
remote port forwarding for completeness.  Using SSHSession with a local 
tunnel
(2401:localhost:2401) and nested CVS commands does exactly what we need.

Example1:  using nested <LocalTunnel> element and a cvs task
<sshsession host="cvshost.mydomain.com"
            keyfile="${ssh.key.file}"
            passphrase="${ssh.key.passphrase}"
            username="${ssh.username}"
            knownhosts="${ssh.knownhosts.file}">
      <LocalTunnel lport="2401" rhost="localhost" rport="2401"/>
      <cvs  command="update ${cvs.parms} ${module}"
            cvsRoot="${cvs.root}"
            dest="${local.root}"
            failonerror="true"/>
</sshsession>

Example2: using localtunnels parameter (comma-delimited list of 
colon-delimited lport:rhost:rport triplets)
<sshsession host="cvshost.mydomain.com"
            localtunnels="2401:localhost:2401"
            keyfile="${ssh.key.file}"
            passphrase="${ssh.key.passphrase}"
            username="${ssh.username}"
            knownhosts="${ssh.knownhosts.file}">
      <cvs  command="update ${cvs.parms} ${module}"
            cvsRoot="${cvs.root}"
            dest="${local.root}"
            failonerror="true"/>
</sshsession>



--------------------------------------------------------
David S. Johnson

   "Oh scholar, if your scholarship benefits not Mankind,
    you deserve not admiration but contempt." -- Kahlil Gibran

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message