ant-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: Functional testing with AntUnit
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 20:51:26 GMT
Chris Connelly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this question.
>
> My organization is looking to replace some home-grown, in-house test automation tools
with open source tools where possible. I've prototyped some solutions using Ant and AntUnit,
and was impressed by how easy it was to replace custom tools with Ant tasks; display results
through CruiseControl; and integrate tests and results into our existing test management systems
(also home grown). I think Ant and AntUnit could provide the basis for an incremental path
for migrating off our custom tools.

> My questions: the AntUnit home page says: "AntUnit could also be used for functional
and integration tests
>       outside of the scope of Ant tasks ...  This is an area that will need more research."
Is anyone currently looking into this, and is this still considered a reasonable use of AntUnit?
We do a lot of different types of testing -- from drivers and distros to middleware integration
-- and I'm interested in any opinions on this possibility.

> Thanks in advance,
> Chris Connelly

You might want to consider WebTest (http://webtest.canoo.com).
I have about 10 customers using it quite happily. It is ant extensions
just like AntUnit. 5 of those customers now use it almost exclusively
with Groovy. 2 arbitrarily mix AntUnit and WebTest (via Groovy).

Cheers, Paul.