ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r568511 - /ant/core/trunk/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/PropertyHelper.java
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:37:05 GMT
On 8/22/07, Peter Reilly <peter.kitt.reilly@gmail.com> wrote:
Note that I'm lost in this discussion...

> "${el:project.targets.get('not-present')}" should resolve to
>   "null" rather than "${el:project.targets.get('not-present')}".
> - the string "null" cannot be used, it actually needs to be
> an null object (when given to setAttribute(Object val))

But this is interesting and a bit worrying. Why should it resolve to
"null" or a null object, rather than the empty string "", or raise an
exception? In fact, returning
"${el:project.targets.get('not-present')}" is consistent with current
Ant usage.

Which setAttribute(Object val) are you referring to Peter? A setter on
a task? Is it a good thing to have "untyped" attributes like this?

I'm just trying to understand the user-side behavior of PH and the
Local Property proposal, but so far the picture is muddy for me. --DD