ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: PathTokenizer
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2007 22:52:09 GMT

--- Charles McLouth <cmclouth@perforce.com> wrote:

> A newbie question:
> Is there a particular reason why the PathTokenizer
> (src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/PathTokenizer.java)
> isn't coded to handle quoted
> windows paths?
> ex:
> "C:\a whitespace path\a whitespace file"

Can you give a better example of what you think should
be happening that isn't?  In general, Java IO
implementations are perfectly capable of understanding
individual file paths with embedded whitespace, so
AFAIK quoting paths is considered to be a convenience
for working with shells (for example, in *nix shells
one can simply escape ws chars rather than quoting
them).  Quoting individual components of a larger path
structure would be similarly irrelevant/redundant.

-Matt