ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PropertyHelper thoughts
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:31:12 GMT
Before I comment further below, let me add that I support breaking
PropertyHelper, I don't really think it is in use too much and if
breaking helps with getting things right, we should do it (in 1.8.x).

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Whether object properties are desirable can be up for
> debate.

We had cases in <ant> IIRC where we used code that implied that
project.getProperties() would retun a Hashtable that only contained
String values.  It didn't take long before we received a Bugzilla
report since people added non-Strings to project properties via the
API.

We may not like it, but people "abuse" the property system in that
way.

> Finally, if any of the old-timers has any more
> information on Costin's mention of "dynamic
> properties" without my having to search the archives
> (lazy), feel free.  :)

I probably qualify as an old-timer (in several ways ;-) but I must
admit that I don't really recall what Costin was referring to, sorry.

Stefan