ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: PropertyHelper thoughts
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:39:55 GMT
Urgh, looking over the PropertyHelper stuff, I wonder
if we shouldn't refactor it somewhat.  It seems to be
overly complex to allow full PropertyHelper delegates.
 It seems that we might be better off using a single
PropertyHelper (still replaceable) and adding Lists of
getPropertyResolvers and setPropertyResolvers.  One
obvious problem of the current implementation seems to
be that you can't do this:

<property name="foo" value="foo.value" />
<registerpropertyhelper>
  <chain>
    <bashextendedpropertyhelper />
  </chain>
</registerpropertyhelper>
<echo>${foo:1,1}</echo>

Because the PH that knows how to handle the extended
syntax wasn't around when "foo" was set and thus won't
know about the foo property (I could be wrong but this
is my impression of what the code is doing).  This
seems broken and extremely counter-intuitive to me.  I
am going to look into an extensive refactor of PH and
if we determine that necessitates 1.8, well, so be it.
 :|

-Matt

[SNIP]