ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: auto download of antlibs
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 10:49:26 GMT
On 5/4/07, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 04 May 2007, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > 1. add a -offline argument to say "we are offline". this will set a
> > property, (and.build.offline) and the <offline> test will work.
>
> Do I sense oata.utils.NetworkUtils?  Might contain some Proxy
> configuration (and if possible detection) code as well.
>
> > 2. when we encounter an element (or even an attr) in an unknown
> > antlib xmlns, and we want to map that to a projectcomponent, we hand
> > off resolution to an antlib resolver. We would have one built in
> > (the failing resolver), would default to the ivy one if it was
> > present, and provide some way to let people switch to a different
> > one.
>
> OK.
>
> > 3. an antlib resolver would do the mapping from antlib package to
> > artifacts (problem one),
>
> actually a pretty big problem.
>
> > then download the metadata for that artifact, pull it down and all
> > its artifacts
> >
> > 4. we would then <typedef> the lib with the classpath that is set up
> > by the resolver
>
> sounds right.
>
> > we'd need a metadata tree mapping antlibs to well known packages,
> > but that is not too hard. JSON, perhaps.
>
> Not sure.  Who'd maintain it?

It should be some xml format.
I think that it should be on the ant site
and ant committers would be the updaters of it.
- this would be similar to the
related projects page - http://ant.apache.org/projects.html
but have a separate url for each antlib.
? somthing like: http://ant.apache.org/antlibdefintions/<package>.xml
for example: http://ant.apache.org/antlibdefintions/net.sf.antcontrib.xml

of course this raises the issues of version. One may not want the lastest
version of a particular antlib.

Peter