ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: auto download of antlibs
Date Thu, 10 May 2007 13:27:55 GMT

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

> > It seems that there may be two distinct subjects in this thread:
> >
> >   a) introduction of policy that restricts dynamic resolution of
> >      resource to those available via a local file protocol (refer
> >      Xavier's comments "By offline I mean with no network access")
> >
> >   b) introduction of a policy that restricts dynamic resolution
> >      of resources to a selection of 'safe'(?) repositories
> >
> > The first scenario correctly reflects the offline notion while the
> second
> > scenario does not have any relationship to the term.  However, the
> second
> > scenario does start to recognize that the physical topology of a machine
> is
> > not equivalent to the definition of a policy.
>

> "offline" is maybe not the correct term. "partitioned" is more accurate.
> when the internet goes from our site, ibiblio is missing, a local
> repository is reachable. When the network goes from my laptop, only the
> localhost and all VMWare hosted machines are available. My laptop may
> still use ssh and mounted filesystem protocols to see the system, but
> nothing else.
>
> switching on file IO vs. network IO doesnt cut it, because NFS and
> networked mounted DAV filesystems may be on the wrong side of the
> partition.
>
> Like you say, it depends on network topologies, but I dont want to
> introduce the concept of partitioned network, as it scares people.
> Unless we hide it under network "configurations", where different
> configurations can have different proxy and repository options. That is
> a more realistic world view of how my laptop acts.

Yes, and if we introduce conditional enabling of dependency resolvers in Ivy
(disabled would still use cache), this is something that easily be done by
users (at least if they manually switched from one network configuration to
another). Note that you can already do that in Ivy by switching your
settings, but it would be easier with conditional resolver enablement.

Xavier

Then I can use DNS