ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: debian packaging related tasks - sandboxable?
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 19:47:41 GMT
I agree you'd need a way to turn it off, but I disagree that just adding
to the LOCALCLASSPATH solves the problem. Or at least, we could do a
better job in my opinion.

What I was thinking of is something like this: running "ant -install
new-antlib.jar" could automatically copy the file to ${ANTLIB_HOME}, or
if that were not set to a compiled-in default location (or loaded from
an ant.conf file) like "${ANT_HOME}/antlib". That way different
distributions could define the default location they preferred, but a
user could still change it either temporarily or permanently.

The advantage to this is that control of the antlibs would be given to
ant, which knows the most about them. Antlib-specific behaviour like
validating the antlib, or providing a versioning mechanism, or some
other feature we think of later would be much easier to do this way, it
seems to me.

The downside is that the control is pretty coarse-grained: either you
accept all the antlibs installed in ${ANTLIB_HOME}, or none of them.
There is also the potential for all of the issues that installed
extensions have had.