ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: BigProjectLogger
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 09:39:54 GMT
Dominique Devienne wrote:
> On 5/18/07, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>> OK. You've done what I've done, except with some stacking.
>
> I had too, some of my builds had 3 or 4 levels, Makefile-style. Which
> is not that surprising, since it was building mostly native stuff with
> <ac:cc>. I think it's essential to do the stacking.
>
> Someone remarked at the time it wasn't safe in the face of <parallel>,
> but this wasn't a pb for me. --DD

yes, I saw that when I looked at it. Now, if we defined one of two
things we could address this

1. have a ProjectInfo class that includes (name,location URI,resource
ref,basedir) of a build file.  Attach one to every project, give child
project's info about their parent

2. have every Project retain a ref to its parent.

#2 worries me from a memory perspective; as long as each child project
has a lifespan shorter than its parent all is well. Some embedded uses
could maybe do bad things. Also it lets people write tasks that
manipulate their parent and grandparent's state.

-steve