ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: debian packaging related tasks - sandboxable?
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 12:49:40 GMT
Kevin Jackson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been working on some tasks related to debian packaging.
>
> So far I have :
> - dpkg (creates a debian package from a directory)
> - control (creates a dpkg control file)
>
> and I'm working on :
> - install, takes a .deb package and installs it
> - more robust error checking etc for the current tasks
>
> I want to flesh this out as a real antlib for those of us who are
> debian users, and also so that we can offer an official .deb build of
> Ant (hopefully for 1.7.1 time).
>
> Right now the requirements are that you have a debian based
> distribution installed, although a .deb seems to be similar to a jar
> (it's just an archive with metadata), so I'd like to transition to a
> pure Java version if possible at a later date.
>
> Would this be suitable for the svn sandbox? Are there any objections
> to my committing my progress so far?  I only ask as I am in the middle
> of updating to feisty fawn, and I'd like to version control my code in
> case the worst should happen.

It could go in as a sandbox antlib, with the long term goal to make it a
real one. If we could create .deb files without running on a debian
distro, that would be very cool.

Have you got involved with the jpackage people? I was on their mail list
for a couple of months last year, but unsubscribed due to irreconcilable
differences.

-steve