ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: auto download of antlibs
Date Thu, 10 May 2007 12:46:20 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> It seems that there may be two distinct subjects in this thread:
>
>   a) introduction of policy that restricts dynamic resolution of
>      resource to those available via a local file protocol (refer
>      Xavier's comments "By offline I mean with no network access")
>
>   b) introduction of a policy that restricts dynamic resolution
>      of resources to a selection of 'safe'(?) repositories
>
> The first scenario correctly reflects the offline notion while the second
> scenario does not have any relationship to the term.  However, the second
> scenario does start to recognize that the physical topology of a machine is
> not equivalent to the definition of a policy.

"offline" is maybe not the correct term. "partitioned" is more accurate.
when the internet goes from our site, ibiblio is missing, a local
repository is reachable. When the network goes from my laptop, only the
localhost and all VMWare hosted machines are available. My laptop may
still use ssh and mounted filesystem protocols to see the system, but
nothing else.

switching on file IO vs. network IO doesnt cut it, because NFS and
networked mounted DAV filesystems may be on the wrong side of the
partition.

Like you say, it depends on network topologies, but I dont want to
introduce the concept of partitioned network, as it scares people.
Unless we hide it under network "configurations", where different
configurations can have different proxy and repository options. That is
a more realistic world view of how my laptop acts. Then I can use DNS
and WLAN ID analysis to determine the active configuration; this is
something best done in C++ than java.

-steve