ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: auto download of antlibs
Date Thu, 10 May 2007 10:50:01 GMT
Xavier Hanin wrote:
> On 5/9/07, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
teresting.

>> Maybe every repository in ivyconf.xml would be marked as offline,
>> meaning they are available when there is no network.When you run ant (or
>> ivy) with -offline, only offline repositories would be used.
>

> What do you mean?  If all repositories are marked as offline, there is no
> added value. We are currently reviewing our cache management, but for the
> moment Ivy can already use the cache when you are offline. The problem is
> that if you ask for a latest version of something, Ivy will try to connect
> to the repository. For the moment this fails if the repository is not
> available, but we are planning to make it possible to use cache only in
> this
> case. But even with this improvement, trying to connect to a non available
> repository may take time, so the idea of an offline mode would be to say:
> "do not use this repository when offline, use only cache" for repositories
> requiring a network connection, and for those which do not require this
> connection (like a local repo), continue to use the repo and not only the
> cache.
>
> - xavier

I think I mean you could mark a repository (such as an a  filesystem,
ssh or http repo) as available when a system is offline. When there's an
offline build, the stuff in cache is always there, but you'd only hit
those repositories marked as available offline.

the other trick is to hit every HTTP repo with a GET request on startup,
but that can be misleading. the ibiblio root is dog slow, and proxy
servers can lie, returning an old copy, even when the repository is missing

-steve