ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject JIRA/gmail threading (was: Re: [Vote] move defect tracking from bugzilla to Jira)
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 03:34:39 GMT
On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 11:56:53AM -0500, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Alexey Solofnenko <trelony@gmail.com> wrote:
> >GMail itself does not honour threading info. For each bug, I get two
> >message
> >threads - one with "NEW" and another with continuation. The thread is also
> >broken in GMail, if the title is changed.  There is no such problem in
> >Thunderbird.
>
> True enough, GMail does get confused sometimes, and put the NEW email
> separately from the rest of the thread, but it works often enough to
> be useful. Does Thunderbird do proper threading with JIRA emails? In
> any case, I prefer online access from anywhere to these mails, so
> Thunderbird is not really on option for me.
>
> Hopefully someone who knows JIRA well can tell me it does do threading
> correctly, to remove my objection (or I should say plays nice with
> GMail). --DD

JIRA appends an In-Reply-To: <messageid> headers to replies, just as RFC
2822 says it should. This results in threading in Thunderbird and
(AFAIK) most other mail clients, including Outlook.

GMail appears to simply rely on the Subject. This seems plain broken to
me, even for regular usage. Eg. in this mail I've changed the subject to
reflect the change in focus, but it's still the same thread (as
evidenced by the In-Reply-To), and mail clients should reflect that.

If anyone knows of magic headers to get GMail to thread mails with
different subjects, please let me know and we'll add it to JIRA.
Otherwise I guess there will have to be a "Use uninformative subjects"
flag to appease gmail.

--Jeff