ant-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Ant Wiki] Update of "Ant1.7.1/Planning" by SteveLoughran
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:57:49 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Ant Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by SteveLoughran:
http://wiki.apache.org/ant/Ant1%2e7%2e1/Planning

The comment on the change is:
Some things to think about

New page:
= Ant1.7.1 Plans =

Here are some draft thoughts on Ant1.7.1.

First, what is the goal? Bugs only, or bugs+features?

== Goal ==

 * Get all fixes since ant 1.7.0 into the hands of users
 * Refresh dependent libraries (xerces &c)
 * Add some new features to keep everyone interested

== Release Plan ==

 * Release manager?
 * Planning: ApacheCon + email lists: may 2007
 * beta: june/july 2007?
 * Release: 6+ months after Ant1.7.0

== Defects ==

=== Must Fix Defects ===

=== Would like to fix Defects ===

* Better proxy support on Java 5+

== Features ==

=== Ivy ===

 * Bundle Apache Ivy 2.0.0?
 * modify fetch.xml to use Ivy.
 * add support to <subant> a graph of targets, not just a list, so it can skip all dependents
of a failing build
 * any way to integrate download and declaration of an antlib?

=== Scripting ===

 * make <scriptcondition>, <scriptselector>, etc, more useful through : attributes
and elements, re-use
 * resource enable script tasks, to take source from any resource
 * more docs

=== Resource support ===

 * script tasks to load scripts from named resources
 * import task to import from a given resource
 * junit to select lists of tests to run from resources

this may imply we need a way to get one resource to resolve a relative link to another resource...a
new interface.

=== Testing ===

 * implement something similar to <functionaltest> that steve uses in smartfrog for
starting smartfrog and running tests against it.
 * allow <waitfor> to fail if it times out (<functionaltest> will need this)

=== Java 1.6 enhancements ===

 * Read filesystem properties in the packaging tasks. How to do this in a way that is x-platform
and reliable? Add a new "useproperties" attribute to zip/zipfileset with "always", "never",
"unix", and something on untar/unzip?
 * Selectors for selecting on system properties
 * chmod to switch to java API? Benefits?

=== Internals ===

 * add a lifecycle for datatypes?

== User Experience ==

 * Error messages to improve?
 * what about the "no build.xml" message? Add something pointing at the ant docs/wiki?
 * make the no-task found diagnostics recognise when they are loaded under maven (how?) and
warn user that they are in an unsupported configuration and that they have to set up all dependencies
in the ant plug in pom. We are already IDE-aware, after all.
 * produce an official izpack containing Ant+core libraries.
 * produce an official izpack containing Ant+core+apache libraries (Xalan, BSH, &C). And
JUnit?
 * produce our own RPMs. Which would imply we support them.