ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apachecon slides
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:40:13 GMT
On 3/15/07, Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de <Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:
> >I'm starting the apachecon  slides on extending ant under
> >doc/slides...we can do what we want afterwards. They arent ready for
> >review yet; maybe next week. People will need a copy of felt-tip font
> >for viewing the slides; this come with the napkin L&F
> >http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net/
>

> Because I dont want to change the presentators slides, here my comments:
>

> Jan
> #5: Before we begin
> - "or Java 1.6": is Java 1.6 ONLY really enough? I thought Java6 just
> provides
>   an API for integrating scripting languages. So with Java 1.6 you dont
> need BSF
>   any more, but you'll need the js,groovy,...

Java6 embeds rhino, so all you need is Java6 for javascript
scripting in ant.

> #6: The simplest way
> - more easier than <scriptdef> is <script> ;-)
>   But with <scriptdef> you could reuse that snippet and write a "task"
> - why you name it "random2" instead of "random"?
> - the arrow the the box "All attributes are optional" does not point to
> the
>   attributes
> - python code: there is no space after "else", but one after "if ...
> property". I hope
>   that does not make any difference
>
> #7: <scriptdef> ARE tasks
> - "random2" instead of "random"
> - you are using xmlns:s, but you havent written an AntLib, did not
> <taskdef resource> ...
>
> #9: Imagine:...
> - "random2" instead of "random"
> - maybe highlight the "test" in the target name
>
> #12: Ant classes ... in scope
> - You have spoken about AntUnit, but this means the scope of
> <scriptdef>. So the
>   title is misleading.
> - The list is not formatted: indent of "self.text", margin of the
> description
>
> #13: nested elements
> - the box is a little to far on the right
> - the box' content is not clear enough
>   <suggestion>
>       type: an Ant type like "path"
>       classname: full qualified Java class name
>   </suggestion>
>
> #14: <scriptdef> best practices
> - how to bind a <scriptdef> to a xmlns without using AntLib?
>
> #15: Other scriptable things
> - why is <script> obsolete? When just wanting a quick way to call Java
> or Ant API
I also do not think that <script> is obsolete, in fact I can see some ways
to make it nicer to use. However, I agree that <scriptdef> and things like
it are better way to intergrate (js/beanshell/groovy) scripting into an
ant build.
Peter