ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: CVS - to antlib or not?
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:27:11 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>>> or at least bundle the ant-svn antlib with the release of ant so
>>> that one does not have to do an extra download.
>> We could easily provide a Sumo tarball download with Ant core and all
>> released Antlibs.  The svn antlib hasn't seen a release so far, BTW.
>
> I dont think the user want to have a "core" with all he need.
> The user wants one "download" with all stuff...
>
> The user downloads Eclipse SDK and gets RCP, Platform, JavaDK, ...
> The user downloads Eclipse Europa and gets all plugins.
> The user downloads Ant WHATEVER-NAME-WE-HAVE and gets all antlibs as a
> bundle.
>
> In that way we keep the separation.

I'm playing with izPack @ Work. Apart from the fact there's no
x-platform way to edit the PATH and other env variables, its a nice way
of letting people choose which things to install ---you can even do
dynamic download of packages from a web site during deployment (with no
apparent security, I'm afraid)

-steve