ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Enhance move, copy with @overwrite-if-filesmatch = false
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:08:47 GMT
Guntis Ozols wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I think move and copy tasks should be enhanced with overwrite-if-filesmatch
> boolean attribute. If set to false and source and target files match, target
> file modification time should be left unchanged. This way, long rebuilds
> triggered by small files can be avoided.
>
> What do you think? Will somebody else need it, not just me? I can implement
> this.

I'd file this under WORKSFORME.

<copy> doesnt copy the files if the source and dest times are the same.
If you are finding problems, then perhaps you are copying ot a remote
machine whose clock is not in sync.

If you actually want a byte-for-byte comparision, copy a <fileset> with
a nested <different> selector. Note that this gets very slow when there
are lots of files to copy that havent changed, because ant still has to
read every single byte to make sure.