ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: Enhance move, copy with @overwrite-if-filesmatch = false
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:08:47 GMT
Guntis Ozols wrote:
> Hi!
> I think move and copy tasks should be enhanced with overwrite-if-filesmatch
> boolean attribute. If set to false and source and target files match, target
> file modification time should be left unchanged. This way, long rebuilds
> triggered by small files can be avoided.
> What do you think? Will somebody else need it, not just me? I can implement
> this.

I'd file this under WORKSFORME.

<copy> doesnt copy the files if the source and dest times are the same.
If you are finding problems, then perhaps you are copying ot a remote
machine whose clock is not in sync.

If you actually want a byte-for-byte comparision, copy a <fileset> with
a nested <different> selector. Note that this gets very slow when there
are lots of files to copy that havent changed, because ant still has to
read every single byte to make sure.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message