ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Properties correct evaluation and resolve
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:20:17 GMT
easyproglife wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have properties resolve and evaluate problem:
>
> I have 2 projects: "project" and "common".
> "common" contains default properties, while "project" contains its own
> properties plus some properties to override the default properties from
> "common".
>
> For example:
> "project" set these properties: src.dir, build.dir
> "common" set these properties: build.dir (the default one) and dist.dir (=
> ${build.dir}/dist).
>
> In my build.xml I first read "project" properties and then "common"
> properties, allowing "project" properties to override "common" properties.
>

> The problem arises when I use unresolved properties in "project" for
> example:
> "project" contains: dist.dir (=${build.dir}/dist2). It overrides default
> dist.dir of "common" but uses the unresolved (yet) "build.dir" defined in
> "common".
> "common" contains: as above: build.dir and dist.dir.
>
> I end up with not-fully-resolved "dist.dir".

yes you do, don't you.

Fully recursive reference resolution is something we do at work for
deployment, but it does radically change the ordering and behaviour of
how things work ... we dont want to go there in Ant.

I don't see any easy solution to letting a project override inherit
something from the common.properties file without you copying that value
over.

-steve