ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: Apachecon slides
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:38:55 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>> I'm starting the apachecon  slides on extending ant under
>> doc/slides...we can do what we want afterwards. They arent ready for
>> review yet; maybe next week. People will need a copy of felt-tip font
>> for viewing the slides; this come with the napkin L&F
>> http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net/
>

> Because I dont want to change the presentators slides, here my comments:

thank you for the comments, I shall apply them to the slides or the notes.

> Jan
>

> General:
> - no animation? (Maybe after reviewing the content ...?)

Not a fan of animation, I hate going through slides on my desk where
each bullet slides in, and I hate even more when I have to sit through a
presentation where the speaker reads each line as you do so.

What I will animate (through a series of slides) is the wrapping of
assertions and targets round the scriptdef'd tasks, when introducing
antunit.

> #2: Me
> - Add a link to your book's homepage

good point :)

> #3: Todays Topics
> - cool made: what is and is NOT topic of the presentation
> - the dev@ant adress is not fully readable (to far on the right site -
> no "org")
> - wrong email adress: use dev@ant.apache.org instead of
> developer@ant.apache.org

-will fix

> #5: Before we begin
> - "or Java 1.6": is Java 1.6 ONLY really enough? I thought Java6 just
> provides
>   an API for integrating scripting languages. So with Java 1.6 you dont
> need BSF
>   any more, but you'll need the js,groovy,...

as peter says, Javascript is built in. I've tested it, it works :) this
means that in a 1.6+ only project, you can be sure that everyone has
your scripts. Without that you need to set up the classpaths for the
taskdefs.

> #6: The simplest way
> - more easier than <scriptdef> is <script> ;-)
>   But with <scriptdef> you could reuse that snippet and write a "task"
> - why you name it "random2" instead of "random"?

that's the snippet from the build files; I could rename it

> - the arrow the the box "All attributes are optional" does not point to
> the
>   attributes

that's OOo impress; it seems to move pointers around, very, very
annoying. I wont even get into how annoying it is in other ways, like
its refusal to let me resize the notes page template, until I created a
new one.

> - python code: there is no space after "else", but one after "if ...
> property". I hope
>   that does not make any difference

python cares about leading spaces

> #7: <scriptdef> ARE tasks
> - "random2" instead of "random"
> - you are using xmlns:s, but you havent written an AntLib, did not
> <taskdef resource> ...

I will look at that

> #9: Imagine:...
> - "random2" instead of "random"
> - maybe highlight the "test" in the target name
>
> #12: Ant classes ... in scope
> - You have spoken about AntUnit, but this means the scope of
> <scriptdef>. So the
>   title is misleading.
> - The list is not formatted: indent of "self.text", margin of the
> description

ok

> #13: nested elements
> - the box is a little to far on the right
> - the box' content is not clear enough
>   <suggestion>
>       type: an Ant type like "path"
>       classname: full qualified Java class name
>   </suggestion>
>
> #14: <scriptdef> best practices
> - how to bind a <scriptdef> to a xmlns without using AntLib?

OK

> #15: Other scriptable things
> - why is <script> obsolete? When just wanting a quick way to call Java
> or Ant API
>   using <scriptdef> is overhead.

Because scriptdef gives you reusability and packaging in an antlib,
whereas <script> is
  -inline only
  -exposes all state through beans so its more brittle compared to using
project.getProperty, getTarget and getReference

> - the last sentence ("these features...") is to far on the right site of
> the screen
> - no indent in the last sentence after "-" sign
>
> #18: Add elements through add() and create()
> - when to use add() or create()
> - what about createConfigured()
> - a note about polymorphism of add()
>   eg: add(ResourceCollection rc) can use
> - codestyle: no spaces between "p=new Path"

I will mention this in the talkover. And, if you are at the conference,
you can heckle if I forget.

> #19: Nested Text
> - class name "MessageTask2" does not end with "Task": Message2Task ?
> - good hint at the end ("once you forget...")
>
> #20: Compile, <taskdef>, then use
> - it is not clear how the binding between uri="http://antbook.org/" an
> <book:> is done.

OK.

> #21: Ant's Main Classes
> - Missing some methods, attributes, ...
>   * Project
>     -- setNewProperty(), MSG_<Loglevel>
>     -- you dont need coreLoader, baseDir, targets, references because
> your
>        showing the access methods
>   * Target:
>     -- dependencies is not a single Target
>     -- addTask() is shown in the interface (compare PC.setProject() +
> Task)
>   * Task:
>     -- you dont need taskName and wrapper attributes because you have
> the getters
>   * FileUtils:
>     -- I am missing readFully()
>
> #22: Resources
> - Datatype needs id + refid (therefore reference handling in the next
> slide is needed)
> - Resource doesnt need iterator() as defined in RC (compare touch() from
> Touchable in
>   FileResource)
> - FileResource: what are file, baseDir and directory?
> - GZipResource + BZip2Resource dont need compressionName because its
> inherited
> - (BTW do we need a Pack200Resource extending ArchiveResource?)

Errors in the UML? uh oh. I will check these. Actually, I may create an
ArgoUML model of the stuff, which, while still fairly unreliable, works ok.

> #24: Compile then <typedef>
> - closing </echo> is missing in the last statement

oops.

> #25: Demo
> - no log output from <copy>?
>
> #26: Resource best practises
> - how to test a resource with AU?

Just like anything else. Something I will look at in the IDE at the talk.

> #30: Embedded Ant
> - wrong email adress of dev-list

OK