ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r507587 - /ant/core/trunk/docs/manual/CoreTasks/parallel.html
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:47:42 GMT wrote:
> Author: stevel
> Date: Wed Feb 14 07:43:08 2007
> New Revision: 507587
> Log:
> thread-safe edition

I decided to make it very clear that Ant makes no thread safety
guarantees about its classes, and moved all examples to use forking
wherever appropriate, to emphasise thsi fact.

> +<p>
> +    The primary use case for <code>&lt;parallel&gt;</code> is to
run external programs
> +    such as an application server, and the JUnit or TestNG test suites at the
> +    same time. Anyone trying to run large Ant task sequences in parallel, such
> +    as javadoc and javac at the same time, is implicitly taking on the task
> +    of identifying and fixing all concurrency bugs the tasks that they run.
> +
> +</p>
> +<p>
> +    Accordingly, while this task has uses, it should be considered an advanced
> +    task which should be used in certain batch-processing or testing situations,
> +    rather than an easy trick to speed up build times on a multiway CPU.
> +</p>

Seem reasonable. I dont want to put people off using it; (FWIW its the
basis of our <functionaltest> task that I would love to move from
smartfrog into ant), but I do want anyone who picks up the task to
recognise the responsibilities.

(who has to deal with RMI-reentrancy across clusters of machines)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message