ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tarfileset nested vs standalone
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 05:25:18 GMT
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
> in the standalone <tarfileset> datatype, you cant go
>
> <tarfileset mode="755" id="something" />
>
> the way you do inside <tar>, you have to go
>
> <tarfileset filemode="755" id="something" />

You mean the other way around, mode in <tar> and filemode outside.
Actually, you can use filemode in both places.

The reason (as usual) is backwards compatibility.  <zipfileset> always
used "filemode" while the <tarfileset> nested into <tar> used "mode".

The standalone version of <tarfileset> shares code with <zipfileset>
and thus now has a filemode attribute.  The <tarfileset> inside <tar>
corresponds to a subclass of the standalone one that delegates
setMode() to setFileMode() in its base class.

> Isnt that a bit, well, inconsistent?

We should promote using filemode in either place.

Stefan