ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposed roadmap
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 15:57:23 GMT
On 1/3/07, Wolfgang Häfelinger <whaefelinger@epo.org> wrote:
> >> 3. I dont actually like EL handling as the way
> >> any invalid bit the the expression switches the
> >> whole thing to null, instead of telling where
> >> you've left something undefined. That may just
> >> be the JSP2 implementation, of course,.
>
> I like  this actually much more than the Ant way. Too
> many times I created funny directories like ${src.dir}
> et cetera. So I'm not going to miss this Ant "feature".
> It would anyhow only apply for those using EL, for all
> others, the old rule would apply (I assume here that
> you could define on a higher level to use EL or not ..).

It may be difficult to have an EL in ant as the components/beans
(properties and references) are not bound by any naming
rules - so spaces, dots even < and > are allowed:
 <property name="&lt;x&gt;" value="x is this"/>

properties and references have different rules (properties
are not meant to be overwritten) and have different
namespaces (i.e. one can use the same name for a property
and for a reference).

Traditionally in ant one uses nested elements in place of an EL.
  <condition property="trax.impl.present">
      <or>
        <and>
          <isset property="javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory"/>
          <available classname="${javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory}"
            classpathref="classpath"/>
        </and>
        <available
resource="META-INF/services/javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory"/>
      </or>
    </condition>

{from ant's build file}
but this can get a bit verbose.