ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branch
Date Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:05:45 GMT
On 12/22/06, Antoine Levy-Lambert <antoine@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I also would prefer to wait a bit to create the ANT_17_BRANCH.
>
> For Ant 1.8, I have in mind some refactoring, like maybe splitting the source tree per
jar.

I would prefer to remove the large number of jars.
The original reason for the split was to help people with classloading issues.
The idea being that one could move the for example ant-junit.jar file out
of $ANT_HOME/lib, and do a taskdef with this file and its needed third
party files.
This has not worked out in practice. The better way is that done by
jesse for the junit task - using a split loader. I think that we can do this
for most of the tasks that depend on third party jars. - I am near
ready to commit the changes needed for <script> and bsf.jar

Peter

> Documentation could also be split by theme such as property tasks, resource based tasks,
SCM tasks rather than the current distinction core/optional which is not so nice.