ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Triage time
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 21:40:43 GMT

> I'm looking at some outstanding issues with the RC and wondering whether
> to pull them either temporarily or indefinitely. I'd like some opinions.
>

> #1 automatic proxy setup on Java 1.5
>
> This was meant to be a benefit, in which the JVM would pick up the proxy
> settings of the OS unless you said -noproxy
>
> But
>   1. I have never seen it work on Linux, either with KDE or Gnome
> desktops (suse and ubuntu)
>   2. Some people have reported problems with oracle JDBC driver and
> tigris SVN not working unless you go -noproxy
>
> The problem here is that while trying to simplify a problem (proxy
> setup), we've broken things that worked. And that forces us to take on
> support calls/stops builds.

It does seem to cause problems.

> Proposal: pull the auto proxy unless you say -noproxy; add a -autoproxy
> option to turn it on if you want it. Fix the documentation coverage to
> match. Users who live behind silly firewalls (me) have to set up ANT_ENV
> to get it to work.

One could also add a <autoproxy/> task, or have an "auto" attribute
to <setproxy>  which just sets the system
property "java.net.useSystemProxies" to "true".

so +1 to removing setting useSystemProxies by default.

> #2 <war> and optional web.xml
>
> I've had reports (and seen myself) cases of users getting warned their
> web.xml isnt being used when updating a WAR file that exists. I think
> its something to do with updates.

Does this affect current builds (i.e. builds that have a web.xml) ?

> Proposal: move the new web.xml features (code+doc+tests) to the Ant1.7.1
> Branch, to put in once we've had better testing.

+ 0

> I dont know if we have a 1.7.x branch but suspect this is the time to
> create one.

This is going to be fun... there are a large number of
changes ready for ant 1.8, and there will be a number
of 1.7 point releases...

Peter